Jan 3, 2013

Part II: Struggle, Reflection, Reconnection

Friends and family,

One year ago today, my brother Rich passed away of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at the age of 21.  On that cold-sunny day, I (Jason) made my way into work for the first time since the new year began.  I was excited about the coming year.  I felt 2011 brought joy and success, and I anticipated the same in 2012.  Just a few hours later, I would be interrupted in a classroom by a stranger telling me that I needed to call my wife immediately.  It was an emergency.  I found the closest phone in an open-area, near a printer.  As soon as Kristen gave me the news, I grabbed my stuff and sprinted out of the building.  The following days and weeks were the most painful of my life.


Jason & Kristen's wedding, September 6, 2006.  (L-R Back) Barbara, Danny, Kristen, Jason, Ben.  (L-R Front) Tracy, Rich, Shirley (Grandma)

It has been a year of struggle, reflection, and reconnection.  Losing Rich meant an empty seat at the dinner table.  One less guy to watch sports with, or laugh with.  When your younger brother dies, you have to force your way through life.  That is the struggle.   Nothing is easy, but you keep going because Rich would say so.  So we did.  Always keeping in mind who Rich was, and considered how we could keep his spirit alive.  Extended friends and family surrounded us with love.  We reconnected with those friends and family and Rich was at the heart of that moment.  If I can speak on behalf of my family, I would say that in spite of losing Rich, we had joy in knowing that so many of you loved him.  Your demonstration of love will not be forgotten.  Thank you!

I would also like to dedicate this post to my Grandmother, Shirley Lane, who passed away on November 16, 2012.  Speaking of reconnection.  After Rich passed, my Grandmother travelled by car with her children and grandchildren from California to Tennessee.  At 77, that is no easy feat.  She was afraid to fly, so she drove.  With her first stop in Tennessee being the funeral home, Grandma and the family arrived on the same evening as Rich's viewing.  Her dedication to her grandchild meant she would get there at all costs, but the 40 hours of continuous travel had made her quite ill.  Though fatigued and sick, she was there with us.  As I stood with her in front of Rich she said, "When you miss him, just find a quiet place and think.  Talk to him.  He will be there."  Love you Grandma.

Grandma
November 8, 1934 to November 16, 2012



You can continue to follow our journey here:

Our videos are here:  www.youtube.com/MakingLifeRICH
We stay connected here:  Facebook “Making Life RICH”

No comments:

Post a Comment